Kat10.jpg

Adaptation of cultures

INTERCULTURAL EXPERIENCES AND HOW THEY CAN LEAD TO PARENT-EDUCATOR PARTNERSHIP CHALLENGES

Educators often hear from parents that the child is crying more or is sleeping less, and that the child is perhaps too young for the kindergarten or that educators should be harder or softer in how they respond to the behaviour of the child. This may cause the parents to question the educator’s approach, the acclimation process or the kindergarten approach. It may also cause an educator to question themselves. Educators are encouraged to question and reflect on their pedagogical beliefs with colleagues, but take this process as a totally normal moment of the acclimation process. The phase of culture-sensitive adaptation should be discussed in the preliminary talk and made very clear. Parents and educators must be aware that the child can adapt easily at a very young age if they both help the child appropriately and work together in partnership. 

Only a few aspects about a culture are immediately visible. In fact, only 10% of a culture, the so-called “surface culture,” is visible (Hall, 1976). The other 90% is made up of structures that cannot be seen straight away.